Photos by Dale Calnan/Image Factor Media
Cory Turner, Jason Barney, & Parker Price-Miller locked into Saturday night’s Canadian Sprint Car Nationals A-Main
By Tommy Goudge
OHSWEKEN, Ontario (September 13, 2019) – Rain was all around Ohsweken Speedway on Friday night, but the wet weather held off just long enough for all of the scheduled racing to be completed in the Night Before the Nationals presented by Burger Barn and Bradshaw Brothers.
Cory Turner, Jason Barney, and Parker Price-Miller took full advantage of their opportunity by claiming wins in the Triple 15’s for the Kool Kidz-Corr/Pak 360 Sprint Cars and locking themselves into Saturday night’s Canadian Sprint Car Nationals A-Main. Meanwhile, Logan Shwedyk and Kyle Wert finished their seasons off with wins in the Middleport Mechanical Thunder Stock and HRW Automotive Mini Stock divisions, respectively.
Night Before the Nationals 360 Sprint Cars
The first of the three Triple 15’s began with Mark Smith and Cory Turner on the front row. Smith was looking for the third Night Before the Nationals win of his career, but Turner had other ideas and took the lead from Smith on lap three. Smith spent the remainder of the caution-free race unsuccessfully trying to chase Turner down, but Turner took his first Night Before the Nationals win by 1.239 seconds. Smith settled for the runner-up spot, followed by Jared Horstman, Shone Evans, and Ryan Turner.
Dylan Westbrook and Jason Barney made up the front row for the second Triple 15, but third place starter Max Stambaugh quickly entered the fray to lead the first lap. Barney did not allow Stambaugh to get away though, and took the lead at the start/finish line at the completion of lap two. Yellow flags for Tyler Rand and Al Gilleta Jr. followed, but Barney stayed ahead of the field to take the win by 1.232 seconds over Mitch Brown. Stambaugh, row four starter Sam Hafertepe Jr., and row five starter Jordan Poirier rounded out the top five.
The third Triple 15 of the night started with Parker Price-Miller and Jonathan Preston on the front row. It appeared two-time CSCN winner Price-Miller was going to run away with the win, but Matt Farnham had other ideas; the rookie 360 Sprint Car driver drove past Price-Miller on lap five and began to open a lead. Farnham’s lead shrunk as he negotiated traffic and Price-Miller adjusted his line. Disaster almost struck for the leaders with two laps to go, as Price-Miller had a big run out of turn four and almost got squeezed into the wall as Farnham drifted up the track. Farnham fought off a slide job from Price-Miller in turn one on the last lap, but Price-Miller drove around the outside to take the win in turns three and four. Farnham settled for second, followed by Preston, Jake Brown, and Billy VanInwegen.
Shone Evans, Mark Smith, Steve Poirier, Mitch Brown, Jared Zimbardi, and Dylan Westbrook claimed heat race wins for the 49 car field. Triple 15 winners Cory Turner, Jason Barney, and Parker Price-Miller earned guaranteed starting spots in Saturday night’s 35 lap Canadian Sprint Car Nationals A-Main, and will start 11th or better in the $10,000 USD-to-win event.
Middleport Mechanical Thunder Stocks
The final Thunder Stock race of 2019 began with Kacey Huffman scheduled as the polesitter, but Mike Thorne and Blake Bomberry Jr. started the A-Main on the front row. Thorne took the early lead, but Mark Bazuin chased down his teammate and took the lead on lap six. While Bazuin continued to lead, Logan Shwedyk and Dave Bailey were charging from deep in the field. They were third and fourth by the halfway point and quickly chasing Thorne and Bazuin down. Shwedyk took over the lead with three laps to go and cruised to the win in the non-stop race. Bazuin, Thorne, Bailey, and Ryan Beagle took top five finishes.
Mark Bazuin and Logan Shwedyk won qualifying heat races. Shwedyk’s time of 6:38.386 in the A-Main is a new Thunder Stock track record for the 20 lap distance.
HRW Automotive Stocks
Mike Giberson and Tim DeBoer made up the front row for the finial Mini Stock race of the season, but Kyle Wert quickly took the lead and went on to take the win. Close racing through the rest of the field, but Matt Nuell eventually emerged from the pack and attempted to chase Wert down. Nuell closed the lead down to just a few car lengths, but ran out of time to catch Wert before the checkered flag fell. Wert took the win over Nuell by less than three tenths of a second, while Ryan Hillar, Kevin Thorne, and Tim DeBoer took top five finishes.
Tim DeBoer and Dusty DeBoer won qualifying heat races. Kyle Wert’s time of 5:27.505 in the A-Main is a new Mini Stock track record for the 15 lap distance. Mike Giberson finished his 24th consecutive season at Ohsweken without missing a single Mini Stock event.
Up Next at Ohsweken Speedway
The final night of Ohsweken’s car racing season takes the green flag on Saturday, September 14 with the 15th Annual Canadian Sprint Car Nationals. More than 70 of the best 360 Sprint Car racers from across North America are set to race for the $10,000 USD winner’s prize. The event also features the $1,000 CAD-to-win season finale for the Action Sprint Tour Crate Sprint Cars. Please visit www.ohswekenspeedway.ca for more information.
Ohsweken Speedway Race Report
Friday, September 13, 2019
Ohsweken, Ontario, Canada
Night Before the Nationals
Total Entries: 83
Night Before the Nationals 360 Sprint Cars (49 Entries)
A-Main 1 [Started] 15 laps – 4:00.779
1. 13-Cory Turner ; 2. 55M-Mark Smith ; 3. 17-Jared Horstman ; 4. 87X-Shone Evans ; 5. 91-Ryan Turner ; 6. 9-Steve Lyons ; 7. 28M-Conner Morrell ; 8. 28F-Davie Franek ; 9. 1-Holly Porter ; 10. 23-Devon Dobie ; 11. 15-Dan Nanticoke ; 12. 7-Caleb Wood ; (DNS) 28FM-Steve Poirier; (DNS) 46-Kevin Pauls; (DNS) 68-Aaron Turkey
A-Main 1 Lap Leaders – Mark Smith (1-2), Cory Turner (3-15)
Hard Charger – Ryan Turner +4
A-Main 2 [Started] 15 laps – NT
1. 87-Jason Barney ; 2. 10B-Mitch Brown ; 3. 17M-Max Stambaugh ; 4. 15H-Sam Hafertepe Jr. ; 5. 28-Jordan Poirier ; 6. 47X-Dylan Westbrook ; 7. 79-Jordan Thomas ; 8. 84-Tyler Rand ; 9. 88H-Josh Hansen ; 10. 22-Shawn Sliter ; 11. 22JR-Allen Gilleta ; 12. (DNF) 7C-Dylan Swiernik ; (DNS) 36-Kyle Moffit ; (DNS) 77X-Alex Hill ; (DNS) 9B-Scott Burk
A-Main 2 Lap Leaders – Max Stambaugh (1), Jason Barney (2-15)
Hard Charger – Jordan Poirier +5
A-Main 3 [Started] 15 laps – 4:00.646
1. 67X-Parker Price-Miller ; 2. 7NY-Matt Farnham ; 3. 22P-Jonathan Preston ; 4. 1-10-Jake Brown ; 5. 56-Billy VanInwegen ; 6. 5D-Shane Ross ; 7. 21-John Burbridge Jr. ; 8. 8-Hannah Ferrell ; 9. 46C-Ryan Coniam ; 10. 16L-Roger Levesque ; 11. (DNF) 99-John Trenca ; 12. (DNF) 35-Jared Zimbardi ; 13. (DNF) 15F-Mike Ferrell ; (DNS) 85-Dustin Daggett; (DNS) 0-Glenn Styres
A-Main 3 Lap Leaders – Parker Price-Miller (1-4, 15), Matt Farnham (5-14)
Hard Charger – John Burbridge Jr. +4
Heat Race 1 [Started] 8 laps – 2:00.080
1. 87X-Shone Evans ; 2. 15-Dan Nanticoke ; 3. 17M-Max Stambaugh ; 4. 15H-Sam Hafertepe Jr ; 5. 28-Jordan Poirier ; 6. 84-Tyler Rand ; 7. 21-John Burbridge Jr ; 8. (DNF) 0-Glenn Styres ; 9. (DNF) 77X-Alex Hill 
Heat Race 2 [Started] 8 laps – NT
1. 55M-Mark Smith, ; 2. 67X-Parker Price-Miller, ; 3. 9-Steve Lyons, ; 4. 88H-Josh Hansen, ; 5. 28M-Conner Morrell, ; 6. 99-John Trenca, ; 7. (DNF) 15F-Mike Ferrell, ; 8. (DNF) 46-Kevin Pauls, 
Heat Race 3 [Started] 8 laps – 1:59.729
1. 28FM-Steve Poirier, ; 2. 17-Jared Horstman, ; 3. 7NY-Matt Farnham, ; 4. 1-10-Jake Brown, ; 5. 28F-Davie Franek, ; 6. 1-Holly Porter, ; 7. 7-Caleb Wood, ; 8. 22JR-Allen Gilleta, 
Heat Race 4 [Started] 8 laps – 1:58.957
1. 10B-Mitch Brown ; 2. 87-Jason Barney ; 3. 22-Shawn Sliter ; 4. 5D-Shane Ross ; 5. 23-Devon Dobie ; 6. 8-Hannah Ferrell ; (DNS) 91H Scott Holcomb; (DQ) 3-Denny Peebles 
Heat Race 5 [Started] 8 laps – NT
1. 35-Jared Zimbardi ; 2. 13-Cory Turner ; 3. 22P-Jonathan Preston ; 4. 91-Ryan Turner ; 5. 46C-Ryan Coniam ; 6. (DNF) 85-Dustin Daggett ; 7. (DNF) 68-Aaron Turkey ; 8. (DNF) 9B-Scott Burk 
Heat Race 6 [Started] 8 laps – NT
1. 47X-Dylan Westbrook ; 2. 7C-Dylan Swiernik ; 3. 79-Jordan Thomas ; 4. 56-Billy VanInwegen ; 5. 16L-Roger Levesque ; 6. (DNF) 36-Kyle Moffit ; (DNS) 69-Steve Glover; (DQ) 2-Dave Axton 
Middleport Mechanical Thunder Stocks (18 Entries)
A-Main [Started] 20 laps – 6:38.386 NTR
1. 53-Logan Shwedyk ; 2. 21X-Mark Bazuin ; 3. 55-Mike Thorne ; 4. 49-Dave Bailey ; 5. 84RK-Ryan Beagle ; 6. 25-Ken Sargent ; 7. 23-Trevor DeBoer ; 8. 28-Jim Lampman ; 9. 79-Christopher Hale 10]; 10. 8-Ryan Dinning ; 11. 11-Gofast Teeple ; 12. 07-Brian Pescetti ; 13. 24-Blake Bomberry Jr. ; 14. 28D-Donny Lampman ; 15. 13-Kacey Huffman ; 16. A1-Spencer General-Thomas ; (DNS) 4B-Brian Brady; (DNS) 2-Ryan Berry
A-Main Lap Leaders – Mike Thorne (1-5), Mark Bazuin (6-17), Logan Shwedyk (18-20)
Hard Charger – Dave Bailey +13
Heat Race 1 [Started] 8 laps – 2:42.606
1. 21X-Mark Bazuin ; 2. 55-Mike Thorne ; 3. 28-Jim Lampman ; 4. 24-Blake Bomberry Jr. ; 5. 84RK-Ryan Beagle ; 6. 11-Gofast Teeple ; 7. 13-Kacey Huffman ; 8. 28D-Donny Lampman ; (DNS) A1-Spencer General-Thomas
Heat Race 2 [Started] 8 laps – NT
1. 53-Logan Shwedyk ; 2. 25-Ken Sargent ; 3. 49-Dave Bailey ; 4. 8-Ryan Dinning ; 5. 79-Christopher Hale ; 6. 07-Brian Pescetti ; 7. 2-Ryan Berry ; 8. (DNF) 4B-Brian Brady ; 9. (DNF) 23-Trevor DeBoer 
HRW Automotive Stocks (16 Entries)
A-Main [Started] 15 laps – 5:27.505 NTR
1. 19-Kyle Wert ; 2. 2-Matt Nuell ; 3. 21H-Ryan Hillar ; 4. 360-Kevin Thorne ; 5. 9-Tim DeBoer ; 6. 23-Dusty DeBoer ; 7. 01-Tristan Da Silva ; 8. 6X-Mike Sarantakos ; 9. 16-Sean Iftody ; 10. 14M-Matthew Moore ; 11. 1-Brian Wilson ; 12. 46-Ashton Dickie ; 13. 11-Mike Giberson ; 14. (DNF) 14L-John Lubeck ; (DNS) 265-Mike Evers; (DNS) 11E-Jeff Elsliger
A-Main Lap Leaders – Kyle Wert (1-15)
Hard Charger – Matt Nuell +5
Heat Race 1 [Started] 8 laps – 2:15.512
1. 9-Tim DeBoer ; 2. 19-Kyle Wert ; 3. 360-Kevin Thorne ; 4. 2-Matt Nuell ; 5. 21H-Ryan Hillar ; 6. 6X-Mike Sarantakos ; 7. 11-Mike Giberson ; (DNS) 265-Mike Evers
Heat Race 2 [Started] 8 laps – NT
1. 23-Dusty DeBoer ; 2. 01-Tristan DaSilva ; 3. 16-Sean Iftody ; 4. 14M-Matthew Moore ; 5. 14L-John Lubeck ; 6. 46-Ashton Dickie ; 7. (DNF) 1-Brian Wilson ; (DNS) 11E-Jeff Elsliger
Canadian Sprint Car Nationals History
The Canadian Sprint Car Nationals has been the annual season-closing event at Ohsweken Speedway since 2005, and brings together drivers and teams from the Empire Super Sprints, Great Lakes Super Sprints, National Racing Alliance Sprint Invaders, Patriot Sprint Tour, Southern Ontario Sprints, and Ohsweken Speedway’s Kool Kidz-Corr/Pak 360 Sprint Car division, plus more teams and drivers from Canada, the United States, Australia, and New Zealand.
Past Canadian Sprint Car Nationals Winners
2005 Kenny Jacobs – Holmesville, Ohio, USA
2006 Steve Poirier – Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Quebec, Canada
2007 Steve Poirier – Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Quebec, Canada
2008 Wayne Johnson – Mustang, Oklahoma, USA
2009 Shane Stewart – Bixby, Oklahoma, USA
2010 Shane Stewart – Bixby, Oklahoma, USA
2011 Sam Hafertepe Jr. – Sunnyvale, Texas, USA
2012 Steve Poirier – Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, Quebec, Canada
2013 Shane Stewart – Bixby, Oklahoma, USA
2014 Jessica Zemken – Sprakers, New York, USA
2015 Bryan Howland – Auburn, New York, USA
2016 Parker Price-Miller – Kokomo, Indiana, USA
2017 Carson Macedo – Lemoore, California, USA
2018 Parker Price-Miller – Kokomo, Indiana, USA
About Burger Barn: Since opening in 2011 Burger Barn has quickly gained a reputation for large portions, friendly staff, great food, and fair prices. Tips from satisfied customers even led Food Network Canada to feature Burger Barn on their popular “You Gotta Eat Here” series. Burger Barn takes pride in their product, and they never get tired of hearing “That was the best burger I’ve ever had”. Their menu also includes all-day breakfast, wings, chicken burgers, fish and chips, pulled pork, daily specials, and much more! Burger Barn is located at 3000 Fourth Line in Ohsweken, just minutes from Ohsweken Speedway. Call them at 519-445-0088 and visit www.BurgerBarn.ca for more information.
About Bradshaw Brothers: Based in Waterford, Ontario, Bradshaw Fuels Limited was founded in 1979. The company’s line of business includes the wholesale distribution of petroleum and petroleum products. Call them at 519 443-8611, or visit their website at www.BradshawFuels.com.
About Arrow Express: Arrow Express Sports is a sport and entertainment company dedicated to preserving and teaching Native American Indian sports, culture, music, and languages. Based at the Arrow Express Sports Entertainment Arena, the company owns and operates the Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League and the Hamilton Nationals of Major League Lacrosse. Arrow Express owns and operates the multipurpose 3,000 spectator capacity arena which hosts lacrosse, music, and festival events. The mission of Arrow Express Sports is to help children by advocating healthy lifestyle choices. Visit the Arrow Express Sports website at www.aeslacrosse.com.
About Nitro 54 Variety: Located at 919 Brant County Hwy 54, Nitro 54 Variety is a proud sponsor of several race teams at Ohsweken Speedway and a presenting sponsor of the Canadian Sprint Car Nationals.
About Ohsweken Speedway: Founded in 1996, Ohsweken Speedway is a motorsports complex which includes a 3/8 (0.375) mile clay oval track. The facility is owned by the Styres family, and located in the village of Ohsweken, Ontario, Canada. Ohsweken’s weekly Friday night racing program runs from May to September each year, featuring 360 Sprint Cars, Crate Sprint Cars, Thunder Stocks and Mini Stocks. The season finishes each year with the track’ annual Canadian Sprint Car Nationals. Ohsweken Speedway also hosts weekly Micro Sprint racing on Thursday nights.
Ohsweken Speedway Media
Phone: (519) 717-0023
Ohsweken Speedway thanks the following partners for their support: Ackland Insurance, Arrow Express, Auto Parts Centres, Bradshaw Brothers Fuels, Burger Barn, Case IH O’Neil’s Farm Equipment, Core-Mark International, Corr/Pak Merchandising Inc., Creative Edge Signs & Graphics, EPIC Racewear, Gale’s Auto Aftermarket, Grisdale Racing Products, Hoosier Tire Canada, HRW Automotive, Insta-Insulation/Insta-Panels, Jibs Action Sports, Kool Kidz Ice & Water, McDonald’s Restaurants of Paris & Brantford, Middleport Mechanical, Miska Trailer Factory, Nitro 54 Variety/Club 54 Racing, Pinty’s Delicious Foods, Renway Energy, Rochester Knighthawks, Strickland’s GMC and Victory Gamez.